Thursday, December 11, 2014

Better Than Salt Dough Key Ornament

Hello!

I wanted to save a memory of our first apartment, and what better way than to make an ornament! 

Preheat oven to 175 degree F. 
what you need:





Ingredients for 1 ornament:
1/4 C baking soda
1/2 C cornstarch
1/2 C water
double recipe if needed



Place all ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir for several minutes until mixture thickens like smooth mashed potatoes. 


Place in a ball in a bowl with a damp cloth to cool. I only let it cool until it wasn't too hot to touch.



Place some cornstarch on a table and roll dough into a ball and place on counter. Use more cornstarch if it is sticky. I used my palm to flatten my dough to about 1/4 inch thick, feel free to use a rolling pin.


Once you have the shape you want, (I did a heart) place key into dough carefully. If your dough starts to crack or dry out, just add small amounts of water. I used my finger to spread water on the dough. I also did this to smooth out the dough before I placed it on my baking sheet. Use a toothpick to make a hole in the top of the ornament.



Place parchment paper on baking sheet and bake for 1 hour, flip half way through baking.



Once cooled, I wrote "Our first apartment 2014" and on the back I put our address. I then covered the ornament in Mod Podge to help seal it in.


A fun little way to remember your first place. It's not perfect, but it works. :)

Happy Holidays!


No comments:

Post a Comment